extra-virgin olive oil
bunch green onions, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
russet potato, peeled and chopped into 1/2" cubes
spinach, thick stems trimmed
low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
Freshly ground black pepper
heavy cream, plus more for garnish
- In a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat, heat oil. Add onion and green onions and cook until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, then add potato and spinach. Pour over broth and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach is bright green, and potatoes are tender, 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use an immersion blender to blend soup until smooth. Stir in cream.
- Garnish with more cream and croutons.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add bread in a single layer and cook, tossing often, until bread is golden all over, about 3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and season immediately with salt.